Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spaghetti Puttanesca


Time to tryout a new recipe... yippie!

I did alittle research on the Internet to find some spaghetti recipe since we're changing our diet to suit our budget. Hehehe. Apparently, this dish is a classic Italian dish and it is really easy to cook it up as well.

Ingredients are as below... just slice up everything and I am good to start!



First, I put some oil into the pan and fried the garlic, anchovies, chilli flakes and the olives. We did some modifications to the recipe. According to the recipe, I was supposed to add in capers but I didn't because we didn't have any and rarely use them for our cooking so I used black & white peppers instead. However, the black pepper that we've got was not strong enough, so needed to add our Sarawakian white peppers. (Malaysia Boleh!!!)
Then, I poured in the plum tomatoes and cut them up into smaller pieces with my spatula. Mix them up well, season it with salt and a little bit of sugar because it was quite sour and put in the drained spaghetti and toss them up. Grate some cheese on it before serving.

Spaghetti Puttanesca - DONE!




There were some 'new' things for me in this dish that I have not tried or liked it. First, it was olives. I don't really like olives because of my past experience with black olives that were in a salad I had back home. Secondly, there was anchovies - fresh anchovies (not the ikan bilis that we can easily obtained back home). I know not alot of people liked it due to its strong fishy smell, but to my surprise, I quite liked it. Although the smell can really put one off to try it, it actually helps to bring the 'aroma' out from the dish.
As for the olives, I think I am starting to like it... I will be having more olives in my future dishes. But for now, I shall stick the green ones first : )

The overall taste of this was really nice and refreshing. It is a little spicy due to the chilli flakes and peppers. Furthermore, it is quite cheap in terms of cost of the ingredients... definitely will be part of our 'usual' dinner dishes.


TheLoyalFan says: 'Taste like 'ching-er' version of Bolognese... yummy without feeling guilty'

Something I've learnt from my French classes last year... j'aime faire la cuisine... Till then, keep nomming!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really yummy! I like ♥!

    Capers are more salty than spicy. I love capers too! Yummy. You don't have to use them all at one go. You can get them "dry" preserved with salt or the ones in the jar, preserved with brine.

    Olives are yummy too. Btw, the Mediterranean diet is a very healthy diet. You can Google it to find out more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... I thought capers are peppers. hehehehe : )

    Yea, olives are quite nice ^^

    ReplyDelete