Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pork Mooli


Tonight, I've tried to cook Mum's pork mooli (raddish). Its flavour is a combination of sour and spicy but I prefer it a little more spicy : )

So here goes: fry the onions in a pan or a 'wok' until fragrant. Then put the marinated diced pork and fry until it is cooked. Continue to put some dried chillies. If you prefer alittle spark instead of the full on spicyness, remove the seeds. After that, you can put the cut mooli, a couple of assam keping and water. Be careful on the ratio between the dried chillies and the assam keping though. When I was cooking this dish, I needed to 'balance' out the taste because the sourness was quite intense. Hence, I would suggest maybe 2 dried chillis and 1 assam keping - that should do the trick : ) If it is too sour, not to worry, just put sugar to reduce the sourness. Add oyster sauce and pepper for seasoning.
Let it simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the mooli is soft and cooked (it will be transparent). I like my gravy to be lesser so I will let it simmer without a lid  for a while longer to reduce liquid from it.

And the final product would looked something like this:



The final verdict? Oh it was good! It warms your body up due to the spicyness and it feels really, really good. 'Happy days' as quoted by Mr. Jamie Oliver. Oh well, it definitely was 'happy days' for me and TheLoyalFan during this cold season.

TheLoyalFan says: 'Very good with rice!'

Ingredients: Pork, Mooli, Onion, Dried Chilli and Assam Keping.
(Measurements? What kind of cuts? No specified lah, boss... all agak agak only, ala our mothers' cooking method ^_^)
 

2 comments:

  1. Did you bring the assam keping from Malaysia? I tried to find them here but used assam paste instead. Think I used it for the rendang I made for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea. It was brought by Aunty SY.

    ReplyDelete