Friday, January 20, 2012

Can we cook like Heston Blumenthal?

One of Heston's episodes that we watched a couple of days ago was about beef and we tried to cook our pork chop the same way like he did for his steak... hehehe, well, it's all about experimenting and we thought of trying this method : )

For the conventional method, it takes 3 to 4 minutes to 'sear' one side of a steak and then turn the other way. But Heston cooked differently - instead of leaving the meat to 'sit' on the pan for that amount of time, his was slow and easy, turning the sides at every 15 to 20 seconds. Hence, to start off with our experiment, pour in the oil and make sure the oil is super hot, like 190c (he has a thermometer to check it... but I, just agak agak only : P). Then I seasoned my pork chops with salt and the searing began. With a pair of chopsticks on my right hand and a frying spatula on my left, I turned the pork chops based on the timing until it is cooked completely. Then I season some pepper and pour in a glass of port & a knob of butter into the pan and let it boil for a short while and remove the pan from the heat. Let the meat rest for about 5 minutes and it is ready to serve.



The pork chops turned out to be really nice! It was juicy and it is slightly brown on the skin. However, I should have poured in more port as mentioned in the recipe though... the sauce was really sweet and it complimented with our veggies and mash : )

TheLoyalFan says: 'The wine sauce goes very well with the pork...'

So, back to the question... Can we cook like Heston? Can... but it would be nice to have a thermometer though... hehehe.





3 comments:

  1. I would like to get one of those cooking thermometer to try out, might be the same as a sugar thermometer (this is something I really want to get). hehhehe...

    Do you not take out the meat to rest first then only deglaze the pan with port? Sounds ilke you left the meat in the pan and add the port in it. Editing? hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the more I watch the programme the more I want to buy the cookbook and try all the recipes... >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea... I left the pork in the pan and deglaze at the same time... But the pan was removed from the heat. This recipe is not a Heston recipe. The method to cook was Heston : )

    Currently, looking around and see where got sell thermometer ^^

    ReplyDelete