Saturday, March 24, 2012

Stir Fried Cucumber with Egg

When this dish was first introduced to me, I thought that this is quite a weird combo. From the day I knew how to eat, cucumber has been eaten raw in my family meals. From cucumber slices as a side for Chicken Rice or as a main ingredient in my father's cucumber salad, somehow I have never eaten cucumber that has been cooked. (This doesn't count old cucumber that is boiled in soup.)

TheLoyalFan introduced this dish to me one day at his home and the moment I ate it, I LOVED IT! Yum Yum Yum! I never knew that this combo was so good and I always try and eat as much as I can especially when I'm having a meal with him : P

First, cut the cucumber into half lengthwise (sounds like a tongue twister : P). Half the cucumbers again. You should have 4 long cucumber quarters. Then cut off the seed or the core and slice them into medium chunks. Prepare some garlic for Chinese stir fry style.

Heat up the oil and stir fry the garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant, pour in the cucumbers and continue to fry. Season it with oyster sauce. Perhaps slosh an extra dollop of it for good measure : ) Once the cucumber has been fried for about a couple of minutes, create a 'crater' in the center of the wok. Beat an egg and scramble the yolk and white together. Let the egg set  for a while and stir fry the cucumber together with egg.



This is a simple Chinese stir fry vegetable and it is simply delicious! You don't really need to add water into this dish because the cucumber will release water from itself. One thing to note is to ensure that you do not let the cucumbers boil or stir fry too long. Reason being is to maintain its crunchy and 'bouncy' texture when you eat them.

TheLoyalFan says: 'Tasted just like home, even with the British cucumbers. Full of eggy 'wok hei'... nom noms!'

We're hoping that we're able to cook this more often since Spring is here... and hopefully the supermarkets are selling them cheap too! LOL!

Have a great weekend, folks! Ta!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy... I want to try this! So simple but sure tasty! ^^ xx

    ReplyDelete