Friday, March 2, 2012

Pork Curry Noodles

Curry. Malaysian's all time favorite dish. Ahh, yes and now the Brits too! I think their favorite is Tikka Masala which I haven't had a chance to try it yet... but soon I will try : )

Anyways, I think curry can be either easy or tricky to prepare. The easy version - just get instant curry paste. It's foolproof and definitely taste good. The tricky version - fry your own curry powder. I've tried this once and I burnt the powder because TheLoyalFan had told me to fry the powder until the oil 'seeps' out of the powder, which it didn't happened at all and the powder became black and burnt : (

This time, we've decided to give it another go although we do have the curry paste. And, we're trying to finish our ingredients here before our rental ends in September...

Let the Curry cooking begins!

First, fry up some ginger and onions with a generous amount of oil. Perhaps double the portion of your usual meat frying oil volume. Then, pour in some curry powder. If you want more spicy, you can add in some chilli (fresh / dried ones) or chilli powder. Give it a good sitr fry for about 1 minute and pour in your meat. I use pork today because... there is only pork in my fridge. LOL!

While frying the pork and the curry mixture, you may need to add some water to prevent your curry from getting burnt. Add a little bit of water to make the paste more 'smooth' rather than lumpy during the frying. Then add more water. This will depends on how thick you want your gravy. More water will dilute the gravy and the spiciness. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until the meat is thoroughly cooked. Season the curry with salt and pepper to ensure there is enough taste. Add in some milk / coconut milk / yogurt (either one will be fine) into your curry, give it a good stir and serve!

This is the usual method for our curry cooking - simple and simply delicious!



As you are simmering away your curry, it is nice to have some carbs to compliment them. We've had spaghetti for this and we've fried a dish of celery for a balance meal ^_^ Bon appétit



I'm glad that this time I didn't burn the curry powder. Thanks to my mother-in-law's advise when she was here. However, I OD-ed the curry powder a little and we were having watery nose and a glass of milk for me to reduce the spiciness : P We concluded that 3 tablespoons of curry powder would do the trick for a 2 persons' curry. Also, if you wish to make extra portion for your next meal, it is better to use milk than coconut milk. Apart from that, it was really, really, really good and satisfying!

TheLoyalFan says: 'As close as we can get to Curry Mee lah! Hehe...'

Om nom nom noms... Curry dish checked and on to the next dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment