Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kiwi & Peach Crumble Crunch


What do you do when your kiwis are hard and still not ripen after a week? Well, I decided to chop them up and learn to make a compote out of it : )

Basically, compote is a mixture of fruits that were boiled in sugar syrup. This method was orginated from France some time in the 17th century. So I thought that perhaps this method can help make my kiwis edible : P

And here goes...

First, I sliced up the kiwi into small pieces and place them in a pan. Then I added in sugar and some water. This is the most basic compote. From what I've gathered via the Internet, you can add in vanilla pods and lemon juice to make it tastier. Let the mixture simmer on low heat and stir it occasionally to avoid the fruits getting burnt. This would take about 10 minutes, or depending on the amount of fruits.

When the kiwis are soften, pour in the sliced peaches. For the peaches, I cheated by using the canned ones. Hehe... Fresh ones will do just fine as well but you'll need to boil them together with the kiwis. When the compote is ready, remove the pan from the stove and let it cool down.

In a separate bowl, crunch some digestive biscuits into rough crunchy bits.

Next, whip up a tub of double cream until it creates medium peaks. Then fold in a tub of low fat yogurt and we are ready to assemble our crumble crunch.

Using some glasses (or bowls), place a layer of digestive biscuits. Then scoop up some compote and followed by a layer of the yogurt mixture. Keep repeating until you have reach to the brim. Place the glasses into the fridge to set for about 2 hours and it is ready to serve : )

Simmer simmer, pound and pound, let them set and ready to eat!


The outcome of this dessert was interesting and yummy. I mentioned interesting because while I was cooking the compote, the kiwis started to change colour and I panicked. Hahahaha, silly me! It is completely natural for fruits to change colour, more so for the kiwi. Thankfully I had TheLoyalFan to help out and calm me down. I really liked the combination of the crumble crunch. It is not too sweet and neither it was a heavy dessert. If you can't find double cream, I think vanilla ice cream would be splendid too! My sister made a dessert for my mum and myself once with ice cream, cornflakes and fruits. It was delicious too!

TheLoyalFan says: 'Very, very, very yummy! Tasted like cheesecake.'

Yummy indeed! Nom Nom Noms...

2 comments:

  1. The healtier option will be omit the double cream and fold in Greek yoghurt? hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much yogurt? I suppose it's a good thing : P

    ReplyDelete