Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lemon Chicken


When I decided that I wanted to try this recipe, I went straight to the Internet to find out how to go about it. After googling here and there, I can't seem to find the recipe that was done by the chefs in those Tai Chow restaurants. So, I resorted to the memories of my past experience and taste at New Paris Restaurant, where TheLoyalFan and I used to have our weekly dating meal there : )

First, cut the chicken meat into bite size piece and marinate with salt and pepper. Rub the seasoning onto the meat pieces before placing them into the batter. I used a dry batter for this round because 1) I wanted to re-use the oil after frying and 2) I'm lazy to clean off those sticky batter from the plate : P

Once that is done, they're ready to be fried. You can either shallow fry or deep fry - either method is A-okay!



Now let's move on to the most important part of this dish - the lemon sauce. Fairly simple I would say, you would need lemon juice, sugar, honey and corn flour. Squeeze out the juice of a lemon and add about 3 to 4 heap spoonfuls of sugar. The sugar is to 'neutralize' the sourness of the lemon. Adjust the amount of sugar based on the volume of the lemon juice. Make sure that the mixture is still a little bit sour, but too sour : ) If you find the sugar is difficult to dissolve, add in some warm water. In a separate bowl, prepare a teaspoon of corn flour mixed with some water. Perhaps 4 tablespoon of it.

Pour the lemon mixture in a pan on a low heat setting. Add in about 2 teaspoons of honey and mix evenly. Then slowly add in the corn flour water. As you add the corn flour mixture, keep stirring until the sauce thickens. Remember not to make it too sticky because when the sauce cools down, it might turn out to be lumpy. Taste the sauce. If it is still too sour, you can add in more honey. This part takes some trial and error, but don't worry, it turn out just fine.

Once the sauce is complete, drizzle onto the fried chicken.



With some time and patience, this dish turned out quite OK. The fried chicken was crispy and the sauce complimented well with the chicken. And along with rice too! But one thing to note for me was to make the sauce a little bit thicker. I'll need to work on the corn flour estimation... still bit rusty in this area : P  Other than that, I felt it was quite a successful experiment.. Yay! 

TheLoyalFan says: 'It tasted really yummy even though I had the flu: ( I really like the fried chicken coated with the light & sour sauce. I'm a very big fan of simple food.'

Thankfully it turned out fine : P I was worried that my experiment would fail... hehehehe.

Till then, keep nomming!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So yummy! Wished could taste / try it. Hope Chris gets well soon. Poor thing. xx

    ReplyDelete