Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Alrightie, time to try out some western recipes : )

We have decided to give this recipe a go because we were watching one of those cooking shows from the Internet and thought, 'Wow, doesn't seem too complicated for a mushroom soup, isn't it?' And so, mushroom soup we decided to try. LOL!

First, we diced up the mushrooms. We bought some chestnuts and some buttons for our simple soup. According to the recipe, you can use ceps and/or porcini as it gives a fuller flavor in the soup. Dice some onions as well. Once the dicing is completed, fry the onion and mushroom with a knob of butter! Mmm... very fragrant!



Remember to fry the mushroom until it is completely brown. I think about 5 minutes or more. Otherwise, you will get 'half cooked' taste mushroom which not many people like the funky taste, especially me - NO LIKES! When the mushrooms are ready, pour in your chicken stock into the mixture and let it simmer away! Oh yes! Herbs! You'll need some thyme (I think) for your soup. For me, I have a bottle of mix herbs so I just pour some in lah! : P

After 15 minutes of simmering, pour in some crème fraîche a.k.a. fresh cream. I would strongly recommend that you slowly scoop dollops by dollops to mix into your soup... Otherwise, your soup would taste very rich. And the final step - ready to serve!






The soup supposed to look a little more on the brown color side... hehe. For this dish, there were a couple of mishaps in the kitchen : ( First, I accidentally put in too much butter. Therefore, if you look closely at the photo above, you'll notice there's a lot yellow droplets. Secondly, I didn't fry my mushrooms long enough and so, it tasted a bit raw, in which I didn't like the taste of it. Thirdly, I put too much of cream!!! Aaarghh!!! I got a little bit over zealous when pouring the cream. Hence, I recommend the 'dollops by dollops' method.

With all these mishaps happened, the soup still tasted quite OK although it was rich with the cream. However, with a little tweak for the next round, I'm sure that it would turn out just fine and tasty!

TheLoyalFan says: 'Never knew it was so easy to make. First attempt was yums! But will need to go easy on the cream the next time though... hehe'


And there you have it... my first attempt of the Cream of Mushroom Soup : P


Till then, keep nomming!


2 comments:

  1. Maybe next time don't overcrowd your pan. The mushroom will release juices/water. If you have an overcrowded pan, the mushroom will end up "poaching" in its own juices. You can always batch fry them or use a bigger pan.

    You can also mix butter and some oil in any cooking using butter so you won't burn the butter.

    Lastly, you can also substitute cream (single, double, or crème fraîche) with milk. Then stir in a spoon of cream for richness and presentation.

    Blending the soup will make it thick too.

    ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see... OK will take note the next time when I do this : P Thanks!

    ReplyDelete